The Killer of the Chatterbox

First, thanks for Pastor Furtick for being obedient and writing his book Crash the Chatterbox.  I don't necessarily have any New Years Resolutions, though one of the things I would like to do in 2015 is read more.  I have heard it said that leaders read.  I also think that leaders read the thoughts of successful people.  Hence, I am reading Crash the Chatterbox by Pastor Furtick.  I am also reading it because the uncertainties in my life have fed the chatterbox. 
If you are new to the blog and have not read some of my other post on the chatterbox, you may be asking what the heck is a chatterbox.  The chatterbox is all the voices that keep running through our head as we do this thing called life.  Of course some of the things in the chatterbox are positive and good thoughts but too many of the thoughts we have are negative and counterproductive.  Many of the thoughts are also fears, anxiety, and flat out lies, which is unbiblical and opposite of how we are supposed to think as Christians. 
I think this is especially true of coaches.  We live in tough business.  This has been true on a personal level for me lately.  As I watch the bowls and watch coaches coach you can almost see the chatterbox on the faces of these coaches.  Poor Nick Saban looked miserable last night.  The winning coach Urban Meyer, had to leave coaching to shut up the chatterbox up and re-evaluate. 
Today, as I was reading, I came across this quote by Pastor Furtick that nailed it right on the head.  Pastor gave the secret to killing the chatterbox. 
"We can never hope to crash the chatterbox until the signal (Word of God) becomes louder in our lives than the incessant noise around us that clamors for our attention and depletes our courage."  As with Elijah, God was not in the wind, He was not in the earthquake, and He was not in the fire, God was in the whisper.  In order to kill the chatterbox, the Word of God has to become loud enough and prominent enough that it drowns out all the other junk.  The only way to really do this is to intentionally feed the faith we already possess.  You feed the faith by prayer, fasting, bible study, reading Christian books, listening to Christian music, listening to podcast from Bible based preachers of the Word.  God's voice is true and constant, we just have to stop and seek Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gus Malzahn Day's 1-3 Tulsa Install

Coaching Football Jesus Style