The Perfect High School Offense

I was recently blessed to have my first article published in the November issue of Gridiron Strategies. A link to the article, "The Perfect High School Offense", can be found at the link below on scribd.com. I wrote the article two years ago after my first season at Sikeston. That season we finished with a 5-5 record, but that was a big improvement considering that Sikeston had royally struggled for several seasons. In the article I reflected on our scheme. I tried to put into words what we ran, why we ran it, and how we had evolved to that point. It was one of those things you do and forget about, but thanks to the wonders of the internet, Gridiron contacted me and asked if they could print the article. I was honored that they liked the article and gave them permission.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45116375/The-Perfect-High-School-Offense

Since that 5-5 season we have been blessed at Sikeston to put together back to back 13-1 campaigns losing in the semifinals in back to back years. During this run, we have been able to put up some impressive numbers:

2008 34. 9 Points Per Game, 349 Yards Per Game, and 5.5 Per Rush
2009 35.6 Points Per Game, 392 Yards Per Game, and 5.7 Per Rush
2010 43.9 Points Per Game, 344 Yards Per Game, and 8.3 Per Rush

It helps to have good athletes and we have had very good athletes. I am also aware that is about the Jimmies and Joe's, not the X's and O's. I do believe that we have done a good job of putting our players in a system where they can succeed. To me that is what coaching is about, putting the Jimmies and Joes in the right system to succeed. That is what we have tried to do in the past couple of years is take our talent, teach them how to practice, and then give them a chance to be successful. I think there are some reasons we have been able to do this, one, we have worked at it; two, we have based what we have done on what we know and then added only what fit with our core stuff; and three, we have been willing to change.

Over the next several weeks, I plan to use this blog to do a follow up on the article. The Perfect Offense Part Two so to speak. I will reflect on how we have adapted over the past couple of seasons and why. I will talk about our current offensive scheme and why we do what we do. In return, please help me out by leaving comments. I look forward to sharing and talking a little X's and O's so that our Jimmies and Joes can win more games.

Have A Blessed Day,

Coach J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gus Malzahn Day's 1-3 Tulsa Install

Coaching Football Jesus Style