Margin Part One

I teach full time. Football season as we all know doesn't ever really ends. I am active at church where I do sound, teach a 20 somethings net, and teach a Dave Ramsey net. I am the FCA Huddle leader at Sikeston Junior High. I umpire in the spring to earn extra money since teaching pays so well. I have no "Margin" in my life in too many areas. For this blog and this series we are going to use this definition of Margin: the amount that is available beyond what is necessary.

In this series we are going to look at margin from several different angles. For example, if you financial margin then you would have money left over at the end of the month, you would be able to give without being stretched, or you have the resources to help when a need arises. If you have margin in your schedule you have down time, time for to pray and reflect, or the ability to take off when you need too.

When we have no margin we end up exhausted, stressed, and frustrated. Exhaustion not only takes the form of physical exhaustion, but mental and emotional exhaustion as well. This upcoming month, lets examine our schedule and ask ourselves if we are making decisions with our time that leads to exhaustion. Let's look for areas where we can create Margin in our lives.

Okay lets start with keeping our priorities straight. Matthew 6:33 tells us to seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and then all things will be added to you. So what does this mean? Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven. Seek ye first His will, not your own. Follow His agenda not your agenda. I don't know about you, but I fail at this on a daily basis. I get up, do my will, complete my list, and work on my agenda. Now compare this to how Jesus lived, after all as Christians He is our model and we are to become Christ like. He got up and spent time with the Father and then did only what the Father was directing him to do. He did not try to do everything, even though He could have, He only did as the Father directed. The other thing that you see throughout the Gospels, is not matter what was going on around him or how "busy" He was, he found time to get away and get alone with the Father.

Step One to Finding Margin and Preventing Exhaustion:

1. Seek and Surrender -- Start by seeking God every morning and giving him control. Then, choose to do only the things He ask you to that day.

Father I pray that I lead by example and that I find time to "check" with you before I go about the business of my day. I pray that the people who read this blog would find time to "check" in with you everyday. Let us set aside our will and agenda to do your will and agenda.

In Jesus Name we pray, Amen.

God Bless,

Coach J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gus Malzahn Day's 1-3 Tulsa Install

Coaching Football Jesus Style