A New Journey and A New Challenge

It has been a while since I have updated my blog. A lot has changed since then. I am at a new school, Obion County Central. A new state, Tennessee. Living a new city, Union City, TN. Going to a new church, Union City First Assembly of God. And I have started doing something I should have done a long time ago, since I have felt the call for several years. I am working on my ministry credentials online through Global University's Berean School of the Bible. That is a lot of new.

 I believe that as Christian's "we should be on mission from God". I also believe that that mission changes depending on what stage in life we are at. My new journey is Global University and making up for some lost or wasted time. As part of this journey, you have to a service part of it, so that it is not just book learning. One of the options is to blog. When I saw that, I felt led to recommit to doing my blog. As a football coach who has struggled with the balance between my job and my faith I have a special burden for football coaches especially the football coach who is trying to live out his faith. Of course we all should have a burden for the lost and coaches you work with become like family so we want to our non-christian coaches friend saved and I would be ultimately humbled if someone came to know Christ through this blog. As for the Christian coach, I don't know about you but I struggle in several areas connected with my career being an work-aholic, attitude, priorities, and motives behind why do what I do are just a few. I pray that this blog becomes a place of reflection, learning, and ultimately victory for the Christian football coach.

 As for my new challenge. God works in mysterious ways. I was the Head Football Coach in KC Center and I hired a young man named Kevin Goltra to be my Defensive Coordinator. We had a nice run at Center and became good friends. He is a Christian man and we are a lot alike. We parted ways, but kept in touch. A few years later, while I was in Sikeston, I helped him get a job in Tennessee at Obion County Central, from there he became the Head Coach at Kenwood High School in Clarksville, TN. This past year I took an assistant position at Obion County Central. At the end of the year, the Head Coach moved on and I applied for the position. I finished second to, you guessed it, Kevin Goltra. At first, my little ego was hurt and I was frustrated because my flesh wanted to the Head Football Coach. I prayed, I felt like God told me to suck it up and stay put and that He would let me know when I was released from Obion. After all, it is He who promotes. We all know it is much better to be in His will. So I pulled out of a couple of other jobs where I may have had a shot to be Head Coach and stayed put. I am now the Offensive Coordinator and OLB coach at Obion. That is where the new challenge part comes in. We were 2-8 a year ago. We have to change a culture and turn a program which has had very limited success in its past into a consistent winning program. While we plan on doing that and feel we have one of the better staffs in West Tennessee, we are just as concerned about winning off the field as on the field. The challenge is to practice like champions, so that later we may play like champions, but more importantly in all that we do, that we may live like champions for Christ glory.

 God Bless, it felt good writing this blog again. It is good to be back and most importantly by the grace of God in His will!

 Coach Jackson

  http://www.globaluniversity.edu/

  http://www.occhsrebels.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gus Malzahn Day's 1-3 Tulsa Install

Coaching Football Jesus Style